Wednesday 20 February 2008

Gluing on a bridge


This is one the most important glue joints on a guitar, most of the repairs I've done have been to do with the bridge & after time they start to do some strange things. Anyway this is how I make sure the bridge is in the correct place & on with no intentions of coming off.

On all my instruments I work from the center line, so when it comes to measuring the bridge placement I simply measure the scale length plus the compensation (3.81mm for standard scale) from the nut down to the center of my saddle slot. I use a 4mm saddle as it provides more room for correct intonation in both standard & most open tunings. The bridge which has been shaped to fit the curve of the sound board is then clamped at this point square to the center line, holes are drilled through the E pin holes.


As usual I like to tape up around the glue joint as this helps with the clean up, in this case it also helps not to sand in to the nice shiny top while taking the finish off in the bridge area. I sand with 150grit until there's no finish there at all being careful not to dive into the spruce and create an uneven glue surface. I like to clean any rosewood surface that is going to be glued with acetone as it pulls the resins out, you ever tried gluing greasy glass to glass just won't happen.


Then the bridge goes on, drill bits in & clamped up with g's & cork pads. Once that's done and you're breathing again the glue squeeze out can be cleaned off after about 15 mins. I leave the clamps on for at least 8hrs usual over night.

No comments: