Wednesday 28 May 2008

Nuts!


I got the Tigra Mhor (Jumbo) and Meilein Parlor guitar back from my man David Wilson last week all beautiful and shinny. They have had strings on for a week now and had a fret dress, so now it's time to set them up.

This is how I do my nuts. I use bone as standard, I have used Corian which is great however a little brittle for nuts on the bass side.

I first cut a rough blank for 6mm by 8mm stock, then use the magic half pencil to give the exact string base height.

Then the spacing, as with everything it has it be perfect. Equal space between stings is marked out and slots cut using my fancy nut saws. Files are a nightmare I could never get the slots to the correct width but these things are great they come in all the gauge sizes and cut a perfect round bottomed slot.

Next the nut is checked for correct break angles and for no pinching, then sized and polished.

After this is done the saddle is intonated and the parlor guitar set up. I'll go through that bit another time, its a lengthy process.

No comments: